About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Friday, February 23, 2018

High Blood Pressure Worries

I have had moderately high blood pressure for years. I try to keep it in check by including exercise in my life but sometimes that falls to the bottom of my "to do" list. A recent trip to have a TB test done for work determined that my blood pressure is now in the top of Hypertension stage 2! That day at the doctors office it registered at 181/113. I was concerned, I have never seen it that high before. In fact according to the American Heart Association that would put me in a hypertensive crisis. Adding to my concern two days prior a blood vessel broke in one of my eyes. I didn't understand why till I saw this high number.

I bought a blood pressure cuff to monitor my numbers at home. I switched to whole wheat breads and have cut out some extra salty items I love to eat. (I checked my numbers before and after eating a plate of nacho's and it jumped 10 points. Not really surprising but sad.) The real problem is I have not added in exercise yet. I know that it will make a huge difference but I have not managed to get my but in gear. I think that is why I have decided to blog about it. I want to feel accountable. To log and record what I am doing. Even if no one sees it as sometimes I am afraid of comments.

I got my blood pressure cuff on January 23rd. My numbers fluctuated for the 8 days but averaged at 167/116. I knew that I could get it down and worked on what I was eating. Between the Feb 1st and the 17th I had gotten my average down to 161/107 which I think was a great improvement. The last few days I have been eating horrible. I can list excuses but that is really what they are. I crave carbs when I am stressed and I gave in to those cravings. This made my numbers jump back up to 180/123, not good.

This leads to the fact that I really need to add in exercise. It is a stress reliever and a time filler (less time sitting in front of the tv eating.) It should help strengthen my heart dropping my numbers. Now I realize that some of you, probably most of you may be questioning why I do not go to a doctor. That would be because I have no insurance. I haven't had insurance for over a decade. The cheapest option is to go to a CVS, Walgreens, Fry's Grocery clinic to see a nurse practitioner. Out of pocket they will cost my $90 per visit. Plus whatever the cost of the meds will be. There is no way I can afford this. So I get to figure it out on my own. Not that it is really hard; live a healthy lifestyle and then your body will be healthy. Imagine that. :)

So I am challenging myself to 30 min of exercise tomorrow. The weather is amazing here in Phoenix, AZ so I really want to go for a hike. I couldn't afford the $100 for beachbody on demand subscription this year but I just got a used copy of 21 Day Fix for $15 I found on the OfferUp app. 21 Day Fix is the only one I used last year when I had the subscription so this seemed like a cost effective option for right now. So 30 minutes minimum of one of these two options. Even if I go slow or have to pause the video a few times. I need to get moving!



No comments:

Post a Comment