About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Friday, August 24, 2012

Work

For ten years I worked for companies because they paid me well. They gave me the money I wanted to go do as I pleased. It of course was never enough and I would spend my raises or bonuses before I even got them. Literally, I have the credit card debt to prove it. Three years ago I switched to what I love, working with children. I was inspired to go back to school, even though I was so fearful of it.

Change is never easy which means the idea of change is terrifying. (At least for me.) But when I started feeling under appreciated in my job I felt like I had no choice. That if they did not want me then I would go somewhere that would. So I searched for a new place. I was selective and applied to five places (all in childcare.) Three called me back within 24 hours. I called one back and went through a phone interview and in person interview. I waited for them to check my three references. Then when I got the call to come in again and bring in all of my paperwork (social security card, diploma, fingerprint clearance card, etc) I freaked. See I had been going back and forth, back and forth in my head. I prayed constantly about it. I tried to convince others to make the decision for me. See because I was faced with two clear cut choices.

1. Stay where I am working 12.5 hours, take out student loans, and work odd babysitting jobs to make up the financial difference. All so that I could finish in two semesters.

2. Change jobs so I can work 30-40 hours and have no student loans. Only go to school part time, so it would be 1 1/2 to 2 years to graduate.

I decided on option 1. I had been leaning toward it the whole time but it is scary. I have to follow a budget which I am not good at. I will be taking 15 credits per semester, which is huge! But it is not like changing jobs is easy. You never know what awaits you in that new position and what you thought may not be what you are actually thinking.

The next 8-10 months will be hard but I know that I will get through them. I don't know what I will do once I have my AAS but I know getting the degree is what I need to do right now. I can tell you that having the stress of work off my shoulders feels great. Oh, did I mention I work for the same company but transferred to a different location. So now I work independently which for right now is a really good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment