About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Monday, October 1, 2012

Wake up Call

I don't often weigh myself. I try to maybe once a week just to know where I am at. Last night as I was getting ready for bed I thought I would step on and see what it says. 284! What! For the last month or two I have been near or at 280 but never above. Then as I step on and see 284, yikes! You know what that is close to? That is right 290. You know what that is close to? You guessed it 300. I am not going back up to 300. Nope. You can't see it but my foot is down. 

So this morning I wake and get dressed. I am still bummed about the number from last night so I figure step on the scale again, it is always lower in the morning. What did it say? 284! No technically I went down like point five or something but I don't count that. I always go down at least a pound so I am thinking God was like "Stay motivated." And so I did.

Last night after seeing the scale I moved my Lose It app for tracking food and exercise from a not so convenient hidden location back to the bottom main row on my itouch. (A fancy used iphone 4 I got from my brother with a home button that is trying to drive me mad. But that is a story for another time.) This morning I started using the app and logging my food. It is kind of a pain but I know that it is the smartest way to do it. As I was updating the app with my current information, i.e. putting in the dreaded new amount I weigh two facts hit me. One to maintain my weight I would be eating 3000 calories a day. Which means this last week, as I gained 4 lbs, I must have been eating close to 4000 calories a day. Holy Cow! Two is that if I stick with this, allowing some leniency for holidays and bad days, I could be at 245 by my birthday in March. If you have been reading with me for awhile you know that I have struggled with getting below 250. I think it is more a mental block then anything else. So that would awesome to hit.

In addition to tracking my food I also exercised. I have this treadmill and it annoys me. It is more then a decade old. I bought it my senior year and even then I bought it used from a friends mom who had upgraded to a new one. It has a sliding bar that you move up to increase the speed. There is also a digital readout that says how fast you are going, time, cal, and distance. The treadmill is also stuck at an incline. Maybe 3 inches or so. So when I get on I can handle going at what the treadmill says is 2 mph, actually I usually stick at 1.7 mph. This is slow. I walk faster anywhere else but I get so out of breath. After maybe two and a half or three minutes I can't breath. Now I know I have "exercise induced asthma" but usually it doesn't become a problem till much further in my walking. So with the incline and not sure about the speed I have no idea how many calories I am actually burning and I can't go for very long. Last week I got on it, for the first time in a long time, and could only do fifteen minutes with a three min break after the first five minutes. Today I pushed through to ten min before taking a break and although I hoped for fifteen minutes when I got back on only made it through ten. Twenty min isn't bad but it is just weird. later I did fifteen min on the Gazelle directly followed by 15 min doing steps. According to the numbers the 30 min of Gazelle and stepping burned 474 calories compared to only 90 calories for 20 min of walking. Which I guess makes sense because I don't stop walking because my legs are tired I stop because my lungs can't handle it. I don't understand why though which is extra frustrating. 

Alas I will keep it up. I will slowly build up the tolerance of my lungs till I can handle walking on the treadmill longer. I mean really I should think of it as an added bonus, improving my lung function.


No comments:

Post a Comment