About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 34 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Friday, December 7, 2012

A New Painting

In the middle of November, in the middle of my book, I started playing on Pinterest. Then I decided I wanted to paint. I haven't painted in forever and don't know why I decided in the middle of craziness this was what I decided to do but it is.

First I cut out and placed letters on the canvas to make sure they would fit.

Then I started painting the background.


I used a metallic green and blue for the background and metallic purple on the edge.

After the background was dry I placed the stickers on the canvas using my nail to press down each part of the individual letter to help prevent leaking when I painted on top.
 


Next I used a painting method of playing various drops of paint around the canvas and then blending them together. This is my first go. Honestly it was way too bright so on my second coat I did more blending.
It is recommended to remove letters when paint is wet to give crisper lines. However because I used cheap paints I had to wait for it to dry. I used a razor blade to remove the letters, and exacto knife would work as well. 

This is one of the better letters that came off. Some did not come off very cleanly. Some took part of the top coat off and others took off some of the bottom coat off with it.

I touched up each of the letters. I put up on the wall to dry but I didn't really like this. It felt like it was missing something. I didn't take another picture of what I did, (I may add it later) but I extended the purple metallic on the edges an inch on each side. Adding this helped pull out the colors of the letters to make it look better.
The other project I did was to make ornaments for an ornament exchange. I started with felt pieces and cut them in small squares.

Next I created a pattern with the pieces. 

I had to use a needle to create a whole in the center of the felt pieces. I started with a saftey pin and then a sewing needle and finally to a quilting needle. Without the hole it was hard to get the wire through the center of each piece. 

Then I slowly started putting them onto a wire. The example I had seen used a green wire but I went to the jewelry section and found some flexible wire there. 

Here it is with all of the pieces on the circle.
I also decided to do the same with a blue theme to them. I had four colors instead of three so I changed the pattern a bit. 
This is the two ornaments with the felt pieces on them. I still had to add ribbon to the top. I again forgot to take a picture and already gave them away so I can't add the pic. I took the ribbon and wrapped it around the open spot and then tied a bow in it. For the red and green I found a ribbon with basic green and red design. For the blue I used a blue ribbon and a smaller glitter ribbon that I put in the center. This was a little tricky but looked great. 

After doing these I was inspired to do a few more things. So I may post a few more things I am working on as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment