About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hoarders

Have you seen that show. Every episode takes two hoarders and tries to clean up their house in two days. Some houses are disgusting and others are just very messy or very very messy.

...

When I was a kid I knew my house was messy. I had been to other people's houses and ours wasn't the same. I have always considered my parents pack rats and my grandparents were too. I noticed as I was getting older I wasn't just messy I too was a pack rat. I thought when I bought my own house I would be better. Everything would have a spot and would look nice like how other people lived but over time things would get messy. Often times I wouldn't know what to do with the mess and so I would stick it in a box and put the box in a closet. When I was living in my condo every 6 months or so I would go through boxes sorting things for trash and donations. I would save some things thinking I may need them later but later came and I never used them so it was time to get rid of them. I have whittled down what I own this way over time.

Two years ago when I had to move out of my condo back into my dad's house. I was not ready and very hesitant so packing did not get done in time. So again a lot of things just got shoved in boxes to be sorted and figured out later. My room has a walk in closet though I have never used it as such. I took all my boxes and stuff and filled my closet with it. As you have seen over the last two years it has not gotten any better. I have done well maintaining my mess, cleaning if it got too bad. But finally I reached my breaking point. I realized what a mess my living area had become and I couldn't do it anymore. I spent a good week or so cleaning and then I couldn't do it anymore. Most of my closet was still in my living room but I needed a break. For the last week I haven't touched it. Then this weekend to help motivate myself, plus I had nothing better to watch, I started watching Hoarders.

Although some homes I could not relate to others I felt a connection to. I could see how things just started how my messes start but they just never stopped themselves. Seeing these people trying to clean everything up and struggle so much it was emotionally draining because I could see it just getting out of hand. It did help my motivation of cleaning things. And so here I am on the other side of the weekend feeling much better with a clean home. There are still a few things like finish my laundry and take my donations somewhere but most of everything is taken care of.

So to follow up my before pictures a few posts ago below are a few after photo's.





I also have a bunch of stuff that I need to put in a storage room. Currently it lives in my living room instead of my closet now.

I am still trying to decide about the storage shed. The Lifetime shed that runs at $1000 is great, it has a 10 year warranty and plenty of room. It also seems very heavy duty to protect against the elements. However for $500 I can get a shed about half as big by Rubbermaid. It just doesn't seem as heavy duty and I worry that it may get destroyed in the elements, though it does have decent reviews some saying it can take the weather just fine. Of course the $500 one is much more affordable and I will be able to get it sooner than the other one.

I think the most exciting thing is using my walk in closet as an actual closet. Though I need to find more hangers because after I do my laundry I will have lots more stuff to hang. I may have gotten rid of them and wonder if I may have to get new, not that they are too expensive.

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING JOB, ANGELA! It looks great! I'm sure it feels so very good! (Also, I really enjoy reading about you and what's going on in your life. Someday when we're visiting Phoenix, I'd love to see you :)

    ReplyDelete