About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Monday, September 3, 2012

Everyday and Nano

Sorry I haven't posted for a little while. Each day has it's ups and downs but nothing really exciting has been going on. I am trying to keep with a general routine of waking up around 8 am, 3 hours of homework time, lunch, exercise, work, then me time and bed by 10pm. Some days look like this and others do not. I exercised three out of five days last week, though I guess friday doesn't count since I go to work at 1pm.

 I worked on some homework each day but it wasn't always a full 3 hrs. One day I fell asleep, no more homework in bed. After falling asleep when I should have been studying I knew I need to get out of the house sometimes for homework. Of course this needed to be somewhere I would not spend money as I am now a struggling college student on a tight budget. On Friday I went to PVCC, my local community college. At one point, nearly a decade ago, I went to this campus for classes and even remembered where the library was. I can't say three hours flew by but I did manage to get a lot of work done while I was there. I am also scouting locations for NaNoWriMo meeting for November so Saturday I went down to Burton Barr. This is a bit of a drive but I deemed it reasonable. I think I found a spot I can have my group meet and found a quiet space to study. Burton Barr is the main library location of the Phoenix Public Library system. It is located directly downtown and is a five story building. On the second floor they have lots and lots of tables but none were near any plugs, I always like being near a plug for my laptop. They also have four small rooms that have a table and four chairs that are completely encased in glass. I can see the people talking but the glass cuts out all the noise. I am hoping to book one of these for my nano meeting. I am worried about how small it is but I usually don't get too many people anyways. I kept looking around and they had another room encased in these same glass walls but much larger. It is a designated quiet space, no talking, no cell phones, etc. I sat in here to do my work. I was pleasantly surprised by how silent it was in this room knowing what kind of noise was on the outside. Large noises still came through but it is a library so that didn't happen more then a couple times in the three hours I was there. I was a little distracted, as I had been thinking about Nano stuff and had to transition back to school work, so I did not get as much work done as I had hoped. Though I still finished one assignment and I was happy to have it done.

Ok, that paragraph was much longer then I thought it would be. I blame Nano. For those that do not know NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. During the month of November thousands of people from all over the world attempt to write a novel with a minimum of 50,000 words. Last year over 36,000 people succeeded in reaching this goal. I have participated in Nano for the last three years. My first year I succeeded but was frustrated by our ML or Municipal Liason. So last year I applied and became the ML for Phoenix. This means I set up Kick-off and Thank God It's Over parties. I support members on the forums and make meeting through out the valley and encourage the 1300 Phoenix participates to come out to write with others. It is two months away and yet I feel like I am already behind. I have a list of phone calls to make to reserve locations tomorrow. I have started planning the kick-off party and am trying to figure out where the best locations for meetings will be. I got through it all last year, in much less time, so I know I will be fine. Everything will come together but looking at all the pieces that need to come into place I feel nervous. So I ramble. I am sure you will hear much more from me about this as I get closer to November. And during November I doubt I will post at all. Between school and writing a novel I don't think I will have any more words left. If you are curious about NaNoWriMo check out the web site www.nanowrimo.org.

1 comment:

  1. Hey that's awesome you found a quite place to do your stuff. We are 6 in my family so you can imagine how sometimes someone is screaming over here or some is watching tv over there or this or that. Thank God we have a pretty big house and designated a sort of library were people is not allowed to have music on or anything like that.

    By the way when you write your novel you should definitely have a character called Emilio...I don't want to write the story for you but "he is a sexy latino" sounds like a good description hahaha

    Have a good week!!

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete