About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Saturday, September 4, 2010

Do you have a list?

Recently I had been searching for books about running a 5K. A book came up called "The Next Thing on My List." I checked it out from the library without really knowing what it was. Turns out it was a fiction novel about a woman, June, who gives someone a ride home but then a tragic accident happens and the passenger dies. The passenger had a list of things to do before turning 25 and so June decides to finish the list for her. It was a really good book. Some of it predictable and some it was a total shocker.

The idea of having a list is such a recuring theme in many movies; The Bucket List, Last Holiday, and A Walk to Remember are just few that come to mind. When "A Walk to Remember" came out I tried to make a list of 100 things, I think I only got to about 30. Then when "Last Holiday" came out I loved the idea of a book of possibilities and so I made one. I used some of the idea's from my original list (which is actually tucked in the first page of the book) and I added new idea's to my book. I watched "Bucket List" but everything seemed so big so I didn't really get inspired by it. But here I am reading this book and again a list comes up. Most of the things she writes down aren't too big; run a 5K, go on a blind date, ride in a helicopter. Some are bigger; loose 100 lbs (she did before dying), make a difference in someone's life, take mom & grandma to a concert.

Last night I was looking at my list/book again. I have done a few things but not very many. I start to wonder why not. Some things are bigger than others but there is no reason why I shouldn't put some effort toward completing some of these tasks.

On one of the blogs I follow (Likeawarmcupofcoffee.com)the woman made a goal to learn one new skill every month. Things like changing a tire, how to quilt, french braid daughters hair, and make homemade candles. I love that idea too. Focus on 1 thing at a time but give yourself a date to complete it by. The link is here is you want to take a look: http://www.likeawarmcupofcoffee.com/home/2010/08/12-new-things/

I think I have decided on three things to focus on for right now but I haven't come up with a date of completion yet. First, start saving to go to Seattle. I have mentioned this before to you. I have wanted to go to Seattle since...I think since I was 16 or so. I don't know why but it has been my obsession to go and then other things come up and I haven't made it. But I want it to be my prority. So when I make money babysitting (besides my sister because that is part regular income) I will save it. I already got started. On Wed night at church I do nursery during choir which pays me $6 a week. And then last night a family from work I sometimes babysit for called me up. So that money goes right toward my fund. I don't know exactly how long it will take but I am going to do this.

Second is to learn spanish. It is so important here in AZ. And yes I have gotten by without it but would really like to know more. The school I work for even focuses on teaching spanish and sometimes 3rd & 4th graders know more spanish than I do. My dad had gotten a spanish set of disks and lent them to me since he had already loaded them on his computer. So I am going to start going through the disks and working on it. And then if I have any specific questions I know that the spanish teachers at work would be happy to help. I don't think I will be fluent anytime soon but a basic knowledge could deffinitly help.

Third. Ok this one is hard and I almost don't want to mention it. School. I want my associates degree. I think I am about 18 credits from a general AA. I don't have much of a desire to go back to classes but I think that an AA could help me advance here and in future jobs. So I am going to start looking into which credits I need to do this. Figure out what it would take for my degree.

So there they are three things on my list I am currently working toward. I think there are a great place to start. Have you writen list? Are there goals or skills you are trying to acheive? I need to refresh my list, meeting Ben Affleck and getting on Road Rules aren't really something I want to acheive anymore. But I plan to post my list by next week. What's is on your list? Do you have any recomendations for my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment