About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Something for me

This morning when I woke up I knew I had a full day. I would leave at 7 am and not get home till after 9:30 pm. I am not usually away from home so long. This morning when getting ready I knew I wanted to wear a dress or skirt but wasn't sure exactly what. I quickly picked a long maxi dress, it is all black besides some embroidery just below the bust line. I did not want to go sleeveless today but the v-neck neck undershirt I usually wear with it was no where to be found so I ended up with a high collar. Even as I walked around the house it felt uncomfortable. I just didn't want to wear it but didn't have time to go do a wardrobe change. So this is how I left my house.

My hair was in a ponytail, I had forgotten to put earrings in and felt way too covered up (and if you know me I am very modest so this is weird.)

First thing this morning was going to Phoenix Children's Hospital to pick up the kid I nanny (he had an early Dr appointment) and then take him to school. Everywhere I went I felt uncomfortable in what I was wearing and just wanted to not be seen. Up next was church. At my church a woman's group meets Wednesday morning from 9 am to 11:30 am. We sing praise songs, we listen to the woman's director, and then go to small groups. I love it! I hate it when I miss it. This morning because of the Dr. appointment I was already going to be late but I couldn't get myself to drive there. Instead I ended up at Target. At least once before, and really what girl hasn't, gone to the store to get something new to wear instead of what they have. Once before my same Wednesday morning group I realized that my undershirt was not covering all of my bra, and again I am very modest about such things, so I went and got a new one and changed when I got to church. So I thought no big deal I will go in and find a new shirt to wear underneath and be on my way. I ended up taking 5 things into the dressing room; 2 shirts to try under my dress and then a skirt with two blouses that would work with it. Although one of the blouses was really cute I put it back and got the shirt that would work with my dress and put everything else back that didn't work. Then on the way to the check out I walked through the accessory area, which is so conveniently places on the way, and found some earrings that perfectly matched my shirt. I made my purchase and I was on my way.

I pulled out of the parking lot and drove toward the freeway, still not wanting to go to church this morning. I always want to go, "I really enjoy it" I reminded myself as I got on the freeway. But I found myself getting off at the next turn off. I didn't want go. I used the excuse that now I would be and hour late and I always have to leave a half hour early so what was the point. And then I started using that I was hungry so I couldn't go, which is silly since they serve food lots of food there including fruits and veg that I could eat on my vegan plan. My lame excuses weren't fooling me but I just wasn't feeling it. I was craving a donut but how would I find a vegan donut so I pulled into the Whole Foods plaza thinking I am sure I can find something there. Knowing I still had nearly 2 hours till I had to be to work the idea of a pedicure kept coming in my mind but I kept pushing it away knowing that I had already spent money on myself today. Next to the Whole Foods is a Beauty Brand. There was a parking spot right there so I parked and decided to look around. And next thing I know I am having my hair cut.

Now let me give you some back story incase you don't remember. My sister is a hairstylist and she has been for the last 18 years. I have always gotten my hair done by her. In fact the one time I was mad at her and went to a Great Clips I was very sorry later. Since my sister moved I have been putting off having my hair cut even though I have really wanted to have it done. I always have one excuse or another not to go. I once even made an appointment somewhere and then cancelled when I was offered extra nanning hours. So when I went in to Beauty Brands a hair cut was not really on my list. I knew they cut hair and that they offered other services so I did stop to look at the prices of a manicure or pedicure and couldn't help glance at the prices. They weren't too bad; $25 for a stylist and $35 for a senior stylist, but I brushed off the idea and kept looking around. I was still mulling on the idea when the sales rep asked if I needed help so I asked if there was a hair dresser available and there was. So I sat down and had my hair cut.

It was kind of weird because my sister always just did my hair. I gave her some direction but she knows me and she knows my hair so she figured it out. The woman, Cindy Senior Stylist, asked me lots of questions about what I did with my hair and what products I used and on and on. Plus I am not good at small chat and she kept trying to get me to talk but sitting silent is fine with me. With my sister of course there is plenty to talk about because she is my sister but with a stranger that doesn't really care about me why am I going to pour out all the details of my life. So it was mostly awkward and then she took forever making my hair perfectly straight. It was crazy how long it took. And then because she took so long although we had discussed the fact that I wanted my hair blown dry before I left and that it was included she tried to send me away without drying it. I am sorry it took you an hour to cut my hair but that is your fault, I asked for the easiest cut like ever. Seriously 4 inches off all around around my head even, oh and my hair is curly so it is never going to look perfectly straight anyways. So I made her blow dry it anyways, it is included and I hate leaving a salon looking like a wet puppy dog. I am not sure if I will go back or not, that is yet to be determined. So below was my new look.

I know totally hot, right? I was now a little sad I wasn't showing off my hotness to anyone important. :)

Afterwards I did feel a lot more confident and comfortable in my skin. I went to Whole Foods, grabbed something to eat and then headed to work. I kind of feel like maybe God was keeping me from church. I mean it could have been satan but usually I can overcome the excuses he gives me. Today it was something more. I don't know maybe I just needed some mid-week pampering. Either way I have made it through my day a bit happier then when I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment