About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Thursday, January 26, 2012

Confidence

Today I ate meat. My church, a few times a year, have neighborhood dinners. I signed up to go to one a few weeks ago. Over the last two weeks I kept contemplating calling and saying that I was vegan now what were they serving, could it be modified or can I bring my own. But I didn't. Instead I told myself that one meal was ok. I am doing it to be healthy and so a little bit of meat or cheese would not harm me. That of course is true but it was a little weird.

In my head I had thought, no big deal, I would eat whatever they gave me. I would just decline adding any extra meat or animal secretions to my meal. But sitting at the table was a little different. They did a pasta dish but it wasn't covered in a heavy sauce but more like an oil. I should have asked. They did mix in pieces of chicken and cover with cheese. They also had additional cheese in a bowl you could add on your own. I was the first to serve myself and I tried to avoid big spoonfuls of pasta with the cheese. The chicken was mixed in well but as I ate the noodles I found myself being careful not to eat any of the meat. At the end I ended up with a little pile chicken pieces on my plate. So I am sure that I ate some cheese and some pieces of meat that I may have missed but not much. I did put a little butter on my bread and because I was in a hurry I stopped at Fry's to get the french bread, they always have it in the front, instead of at the Whole Foods across the street. So the bread had gluten in it. Although I was given the rest of the uneaten bread to bring home I gave it to my brother and his wife. For the salad they had a vinaigrette, I of course did not check the label at the dinner table, but only used a little either way. They had cute little mini bunt cakes in like five flavors. I did skip that even though they kept offering.

After the experience I think the only regret I have was not calling right away to explain my dietary restrictions. I don't think it would have really been a problem. The problem was on my side worrying about giving her more work or making dinner more difficult when she was already being nice by hosting in the first place.

Tomorrow night I have a Bunco BBQ at my church. We are switching the childrens ministry pastor so this is a way to say goodbye to Nissa and hello to Joel. My first reaction when I saw the invite was, it's a bbq what are you going to eat? So I am going to go prepared. I think I will stash some mixed nuts in my purse. The calories on those add up quick. Then always has a salad and usually fruit so I should be good. The important part is planning ahead and not being afraid to eat different.

Oh and I do want to mention after yesterday's, eat whatever I want day, I did go back to normal. I was kind of hungry a little bit through out the day but I knew that would happen. It wanted the number of calories from the day before. I told my body no and went on with my day eating like normal. I am not sure exactly how many calories my dinner was but I did not stuff myself by any means so I think I should end my day in range.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day so i will start my day with french toast. Then I should have a couple of hours to finish typing the other half of my essay before heading to work. Today I did not work on it as much as I should have. I had a couple errands between eight and nine and then kind of dragged my feet till ten. So I only did about forty-five minutes on the essay before work and then I did use about an hour to an hour and a half during my break at work to do a bit more. I am about halfway done. I am still not sure it is exactly what the teacher wants but all I can do is my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment