About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Odd Jobs


On the side of my house we have this little fence. It is six tall and maybe six feet wide. The wooden fence has been there a long time and is falling down. A few months ago, on my dad's recommendation, I went and got some rope to tie it to the posts so it will stay up. This worked for maybe a month and then proceeded to fall over again. Not as far this time but still falling over. Everyday I would drive home and see this mess of a fence and want to fix it. Shouldn't it be an easy fix? Well easy is relative. The actual problem was the 4X4 post was not secured in the ground. No one really asked me but I think termites ate the post causing the post to fall down. I know this as part of the post is still cemented into the ground. So I went to home depot and bought a 4x4x8 foot post. Got the post hole digger out of the storage shed and started making a hole.




















For an eight foot post you need a two foot hole. You take the post hole digger in both hands, it is several pounds, and then thrust it toward the ground being careful to let go before impact. You then separate the two handles which pushes the two half circle parts together to grab the dirt to take out. You continue to do this over and over again until all of the whole is deep enough. I added a step in attempt to make it a little easier which involved hammering a steel stake into the ground, removing (the hard part), and then adding water to soak into the dirt. Hence why my whole is so wet. Once the hole was dug it was pretty easy, stick the post in, pack the dirt in around it, and then hammer the fence into both of the posts.


It took me about three hours but it wasn't so bad since it was overcast today here in Phoenix. The rest of the wood is pretty old and will have to be replaced too. But for now hopefully it will stay standing and looking like a normal fence. Sorry for no before picture but just picture the fence leaning forward on the top about a foot with white rope tied in, out, and around each of the slates and the posts. Not very pretty.


***

Besides fixing the fence I did plenty of stuff this weekend. I did go to bed early Friday like I had planned. Then Saturday I woke up early and completed another assignment for school. I had a babysitting job for 4 hours. I went shopping on the way home and then had to run out again to go to another babysitting job. The Lord sure is blessing me with these last minute babysitting jobs. He really does provide for all our needs!

My next assignment for school is a rhetorical analytical essay. Which means I have to analyze some type of article. It was causing me great frustration this evening. Not only do I have to analyze an article but the I have to find an article that was already analyzed by someone else so that I can use it as evidence in my article. I was hoping to have it on the topic of early education, as I hope to write my research paper on this, however I could not find any articles that were already analyzed. So after much frustration I finally found a couple papers about charter schools. So I am still in the education field but not as narrow as I wanted. I printed the articles out and the parameters I need to work with. That way I don't have to be in front of the computer to do the first part of the essay. The analyzing and outlining and figuring out what I will want to quote or cite in my paper. This is to be a four to five page paper so I think it will take me a little while. Though if I was on track I would only have one week to do it so it shouldn't be too hard.

Between church, the fence and the essay that is all I have done today. I did weigh in this morning and lost another 2 lbs! That takes me down to 266. Though today I ate too much. I think. I haven't logged everything. Maybe with the outdoor exercise I will at least be close. But for now I am headed to bed. I need some sleep before a new week starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment