About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday Sermon

Today's sermon was on Luke 11. Last week we covered verses one through four, one version of the Lord's prayer.

Once Jesus was in a certain play praying. As he finished, one of his disciples came to him and said, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."
 Jesus said, "This is how you should pray;
    "Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
       Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in Heaven, so on earth.
     Give us our daily bread.
     And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
     And lead us not into temptation.

Then this week we continued with five through twelve.

   Then Jesus said to them, "Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, "Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me and I have no food to offer him."
    And suppose the one inside answers, "Don't bother me. The door is already locked and my children and I are in bed. I can't get up and give you anything." 
    I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your boldness he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.
    "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
    "Which of your fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 

The pastor always has us stand and reads the verses and then we sit down and go through the verses. As we were standing and he was reading, and I following along. The verses hit me. Just last night I was saying that if God wanted to He could pay for my flight. I said a few weeks ago that I have a desire to go to Belize with my church but again I was asking God for that. And I have asked but I have never asked boldly.

When I ask for things I ask humbly. I ask in reverence knowing that His plan is better than my plan. But I also fear of asking for too much. I know that God has already provided so much for me that when I ask for more it feels like too much. God has provided for all of my needs and even some of my wants. But this verse, spoken from Jesus, encourages me to ask boldly.

So this week as I ask boldly for things that I desire, I encourage you to do the same. We are God's children and he wants good in our lives. He will not give us everything we want but do not be afraid to ask boldly for things that you desire.


No comments:

Post a Comment