About Me

Hi, my name is Angela and welcome to my blog. This is a place where I write about my life in an honest and open way.

I am 36 years old, single, and a Christian. God gave me a heart to work with children and so I spend my day teaching kindergarten. It is my fourth year teaching and although it is hard I love it. I currently go to a college for my BA in Elementary Education which keeps me busy. Between work and school there is not much time left but I enjoy serving and helping others, watching netflix, or reading a good book.


Friday, March 9, 2012

Measurable

Everything we do is measurable. We each have 24 hours in a day and we choose how we spend them. We each choose what to put in our body and how many calories and the type of calories we consume. We  choose when to wake and when to go to sleep. We choose.

When I was a young child for my birthday's my grandparents always took me out. It was a big deal because as the birthday kid I went out with just grandma and grandpa and I got to choose what were we ate. My family never ate out, even McDonald's was a special trip. So birthday's were extra special. One year we went to a mall. This time it was with my dad and my brothers (I think, it has been a long time.) I remember that the mall had a carousel horse that I rode. Afterwards we to Target, I think, and I an end cap was birthday books. I chose the book that was for March 12th. I had to have it. Inside it tells you different celebrities that share your birthday as well as important things that happened on this date. The really interesting thing are some charts. Below I have added in what the chart says for my new age 30.

At your age:

You have blinked this many times: 144,968,777
You have breathed this many times: 180,595,958
You have eaten this many meals: 33,692
Your heart has beaten this many times: 1,363,113,000
It has pumped this many gallons of blood: 26,623,300
You have slept this many hours: 95,644
You have slept this many days: 3,985

Now of course as an adult I know all of these things vary. But just as I did as a kid I look at these numbers and think about the things that I have done mostly involuntarily. I do not choose to blink, breath, or pump my blood. These are things God has set in motion for us. I want to say they are things that we can not mess up but really they are. People smoke cigarettes and we pollute the air changing our breaths. We eat fatty foods and have sedentary lifestyles that clog our arteries and slow down the pumping of our blood. We even come up with staring contests to control our blinking. So even that which God has set up to help regulate our intricate body, we mess up.

I know that at the end of each day I have chosen all that has come my way. So if I am happy with the outcome or unhappy that is up to me. So today as I sit here, a nearly three in the morning. I know that I am being self-destructive. I have work tomorrow. I have school work I did not do. I probably somewhere between three and four thousand calories today. I did not exercise. I was glutenous sloth. Tomorrow I will not feel well and I will be tired. It will help to continue this path that I am on. But as much as I chose I also don't chose. I don't chose to finish doing my laundry. I don't chose to stop eating. I don't chose to exercise.

I wish that I was better with my choices. I wish that I could say that here on day 10,954 that I have figured it out. But I have not. So instead I blog about how I have no idea what I am doing. I blog about how I wish that I was doing better. And I blog in hope to help motivate myself into making those good choices. But for today I will count it a loss. I will chalk it up to another day of experience and hope that I learned something. Tomorrow is a new day. A new chance at new choices. What will you do with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment